The Business Partner is responsible for building strong relationships with all VPs, deans, managers and employees within the assigned divisions. The Business Partner will fully understand all operational facets of the assigned departments and divisions, including strategic objectives, financial matters and personnel issues and develop “people strategies” for each department and division based on business and operational objectives.
Client Relationship Management
- Build strong relationships with all VPs, deans, managers and employees within the assigned divisions. Fully understand all operational facets of the designated departments and divisions, including strategic objectives, financial matters and personnel issues. Develop “people strategies” for each department and division based on business and operational objectives.
- Guide senior leaders and managers through assessments of the effectiveness of current organization designs. Where necessary, facilitate the process of redesigning organization structures. Provide guidance on “change management” techniques and processes to ensure smooth transitions.
- Coach senior leaders, managers and supervisors to regularly assess employee performance and provide timely and accurate feedback. Assist managers in the creation and communication of performance expectations for employees. Audit performance reviews to ensure quality. Facilitate performance calibration meetings as appropriate. Work with managers and employees to create individual development plans that build strengths for current and future roles.
Provide Employee Relations Support
- Work closely with managers and employees to anticipate potential employee relations problems and recommend necessary actions to avoid negative outcomes. Coach and assist employees and managers in the resolution of conflicts that arise. Recommend corrective action when appropriate and assist in the delivery of the corrective action as necessary.
Team Building and Professional Development
- Facilitate effective team building programs and developmental training as appropriate. Work closely with the Director of Talent and Organizational Effectiveness to determine the appropriate programs and tools.
- Coach individual leaders and managers on the principles and techniques for becoming more effective leaders. Lead managers in talent planning and succession planning as appropriate.
- Regularly provide information to members of HR department about the issues and status of the designated departments and divisions. Regularly seek information and advice from members of the HR Operations group and the HR centers of expertise.
- Ability to develop excellent working relationships and establish personal credibility with all employees.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of general business principles and ability to quickly learn operational aspects of various organizations.
- Practical knowledge of current employment laws and regulations.
- Ability to analyze complex issues and make sound objective judgments.
- Knowledge of multiple HR disciplines, including benefits, compensation, employment, work life and professional development and learning.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced environment.
- Understanding of broad array of leadership principles and techniques.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Advanced degree in Human Resources Management or related fields preferred.
- SPHR certification desirable.
- 5 to 10 years of Human Resources experience, preferably as a strategic HR business partner in a progressive human resource operation
- Full-time, exempt position
- Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7.75 hrs./day; 38.75 hrs./week; flexibility to work as needed
Pay Grade 10
To see more detailed salary information please review the University of Richmond's Compensation Structure.
Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. Richmond offers a unique combination of undergraduate and graduate programs. Our School of Arts & Sciences anchors Richmond as a nationally ranked liberal arts university. A ranked business school, the nation’s first school of leadership studies, a highly respected law school, a nationally recognized international education program and the community-focused School of Professional and Continuing Studies build on that strong foundation and make this university something unique.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE