Destiny Services Job Posting – Psychosocial Rehabilitation Counselor
Are you an accomplished direct care provider, looking to find more meaning and fulfillment in your work? Have you been waiting for an opportunity to acquire some additional Counseling Skills? Do you take pride in caring for, educating and encouraging others?
Destiny Services is in search of a Psychosocial Rehabilitation Counselor to join our Petersburg, VA Office team. Duties include providing training and support to individuals with mental illness. More specifically, this position will work with adults in a group setting providing instruction and assistance in daily living skills, medication management, health monitoring, socialization skills, access to community resources, etc. Additionally, this position develops treatment plans, completes quarterly reviews and maintains regular documentation of service delivery.
Destiny Services proudly provides a comprehensive array of mental health, substance abuse, intellectual disability, prevention and family services appropriate to conditions of individuals and families in the greater Richmond and Tri-cities Area. These services promote the best interests of the individual and are designed to increase independence, improve quality of life, and support community integration and inclusion. This is our passion, our mission. We want those who choose to join our team to proudly represent this passion and our mission.
Why you want to work for Destiny Services
Destiny provides a dynamic environment to grow and learn. We are committed to quality, professionalism and service in all aspects of our agency; an agency that strives to empower all of our team members to provide meaningful contributions and take pride in their work. We are a close knit and collaborative team that provides an excellent opportunity to quickly grow in your career.
Destiny offers a competitive benefits package to full-time employees which includes healthcare, retirement, annual leave, annual bonuses, etc.
- Associates Degree (Bachelor’s Degree preferred) from an accredited college or university in the human services field (social work, gerontology, psychology, psychiatric rehabilitation, special education, sociology, human service counseling, vocational rehabilitation) with at least one year of clinical experience providing direct services to individuals with a diagnosis of mental illness; or
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in an unrelated field that includes at least 15 semester credits (or equivalent) in a human services field with at least three years of clinical experience providing direct services to individuals with a diagnosis of mental illness; or
- In the absence of a degree, at least completion of a 12 week QMHPP training approved by DBHDS with at least on year of experience (including the 12 weeks of supervised experience) providing direct services to individuals with a diagnosis of mental illness
- ability to facilitate an educational group on various topics
- ability to create a menu of balanced meals and prepare for clients
- ability to establish effective clinical relationships with clients
- capability of maintaining appropriate boundaries with clients, collaterals and other professionals
- ability to respond effectively to crisis, make independent decisions, work cooperatively and remain flexible
- excellent organizational skills sufficient to prioritize and complete work tasks independently, while balancing competing needs and attending to detail
- effective and timely documentation skills
Successful candidates must have excellent interpersonal, crisis response and communication skills with an ability to manage a group of individuals with mental illness. Must be able to demonstrate the ability to constructively approach a challenge, prioritize, manage time, pay close attention to details and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, multiple tasks environment.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate that they are self-motivated, with a willingness to develop professionally and constantly apply new knowledge to their work.
Sound exciting? We would like to talk to you!
Interested applicants should obtain a Destiny Services application from the Human Resources Department, 1124 W. Washington Street, Petersburg, VA 23803. Applications can also be downloaded from our website, www.destinyservices.org. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completed Destiny Services applications. This is an on-going recruitment effort therefore interviews are conducted as qualified applicants apply.
Destiny Services, Inc. is committed to developing a multi-cultural workplace. Minorities and persons with disabilities seeking career advancement are encouraged to apply. EOE
Destiny is a Human Services agency that delivers services to individuals with major life challenges, or mental health, substance abuse and intellectual disability disorder. These services are person-centered, focusing on the needs and preferences of the individual.
Philosophy: It is Destiny's philosophy that through intervention people can and do recover from mental illness. Studies have shown that individuals recover or significantly improve when provided the appropriate treatment and support system. We believe, that individuals recovering from mental health challenges are able to live and work in the community, enjoy active social lives, attend school, practice their faith and maintain a healthy lifestyle while managing their own illness with the supports they may need.
Mission: Destiny's mission is to advance the availability and practice of mental health, Intellectual Disability, Substance Abuse, Prevention and Family Services, and to provide recovery oriented education and treatment to individuals with psychiatric disabilities or major life challenges, so that they can have access to the support and services they need.
Goal: Destiny's goal is to provide services that are designed to improve the quality of life, preserve the family unit, and reduce the number of hospitalizations, homelessness and deaths caused by mental illness, through person-centered education and treatment services.