Over twenty years ago, CarMax disrupted the automotive industry and to this day remains the undisputed market leader in a $500B+ industry. With best-in-class financial performance, operational excellence, customer satisfaction, and associate engagement, CarMax is well positioned for continued growth.
The Service Operations Department at CarMax is central to driving for that success. Responsible for all the reconditioning activities that go into our cars prior to the sale, Service Operations strives to continuously improve the cost, quality, and speed of our reconditioning processes.
The Manager of Operations Strategy plays a critical role in leveraging CarMax's analytics-based competitive advantage to drive our strategy for both operational innovation and continuous improvement. As an internal consultant for CarMax, you'll own an area of the business, be expected to challenge existing practices, and drive lasting improvement. Along the way you'll get the chance to solve challenging business problems by analyzing our large, complex data sets, and then lead projects to drive visible change in our business.
The Manager of Operations Strategy will own projects that can 1) deliver key strategic and analytical insights to drive improved performance, 2) discover high-value improvement opportunities, and 3) support the systems and reports to drive ongoing execution in our Service Operations department.
This position provides a strategic thinker, possessing strong analytical and management skills, the opportunity to play a key role in driving the strategy that will shape the future of a Fortune 500 retailer.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work closely with Service Operations leadership to set the long-term strategy and prioritization for change efforts over the coming years for the department.
2. Partner with the Director of Operations Strategy to facilitate the strategic roadmap process and to drive both innovation and continuous improvement agendas.
3. Track progress against strategic roadmap goals and guide the process to evolve plans as appropriate.
4. Assist the implementation of initiatives by consulting on key decisions and facilitating cross-functional alignment.
5. Work closely with the VP of Field Execution and AVP of Development/Change Leadership to maintain a communications strategy to inform all executives on results from roadmap initiatives as well as overall business performance.
6. Periodically conduct or facilitate ad hoc research to support special projects within Service Operations.
UNIQUE BENEFITS OF THE JOB
• Opportunity for Personal growth. In our Strategy Group, your development is as important as your work. Our leaders are heavily invested in helping managers hone their technical, communication, leadership, and other skills.
• Track-record of growth. Strategy and analytics are best done in a growing company. As the nation's largest retailer of used cars, we have over 170+ stores in 75+ markets, $15 billion in annual sales, and overwhelmingly positive feedback from our customers. But the biggest opportunities lie ahead: we boldly aim to double in the next seven years and are building a stellar team of analysts to help drive this growth.
• Close knit team. The Strategy Group is part of a broader Analytical Community at CarMax consisting of 100+ analysts with stellar work and academic backgrounds spanning from economics, math, and engineering to political science and creative writing, contributing to our collaborative and fun atmosphere.
• Work/life balance. We work hard, but enjoy very reasonable hours. Our jobs are a healthy part of a great life.
• Great place to work. The CarMax culture is unique, and nearly all Associates say the people are the best part of working here. Our purpose is to drive integrity in the automotive industry, which leads us to place deep value in every associate, customer, & vendor. We're proud to be one of FORTUNE 500's "100 Best Companies to Work For" 12 years in a row. In addition to comprehensive benefits, we have a fun and casual environment with perks like flexible vacation and an on-campus fitness center.
• Track record of strategic thinking and proven thought leadership
- Ability to convert high-level business objectives into concrete action plans and analytical tasks
- Ability to assimilate numerous qualitative and quantitative inputs in the face of ambiguity and drill down to a good decision
- Ability to identify problems, generate solutions, evaluate alternatives, and lead team to make recommendations
• Proven leadership and management skills
- Ability to develop and execute a plan with high degree of independence
- Ability to deliver great results while simultaneously managing several projects
- Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively, and manage your time to meet goals/objectives
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to motivate and influence across all levels of the organization
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner through verbal and written methods
- Ability to summarize or present complex and/or technical information into easy-to-understand pieces
• Demonstrated success in analytical decision making
- Ability to apply business and technical knowledge to solve complex problems, produce results, and make recommendations
- Ability to lead problem solving sessions for larger groups with a wide range of stakeholders
- Analytical curiosity and ability to flex between big picture strategic thinking and sharp attention to detail
• Passion for delivering results on large strategic initiatives
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• 7+ years of business experience in strategic analysis, financial analysis, consulting or engineering
• Undergraduate degree in a business, quantitative, or engineering discipline with an excellent academic record
• MBA/Masters degree a plus but not required
• Experience managing highly analytical projects
• Experience with strategy formulation, articulation, and implementation
• Experience influencing across a large organization at all levels
• Experience within manufacturing operations a plus but not required
• Computer skills: Excel, PowerPoint; some SQL experience preferred