Ayers Electronic Systems in Richmond, VA. (aE) is seeking a Rail Systems Field Test Engineer/ to support our rail consulting efforts. The successful candidate will plan and execute testing and commissioning activities for new and upgraded rail control systems and control centers on passenger and freight rail systems and will be a member of the Test Team that defines and plans test cases, and provides procedures and scripts defining the steps to verify operations of software developed by other vendors. The position requires the successful candidate to:
· Participate in the test planning process for laboratory and field tests,
· Participate in the execution of laboratory and field tests,
· Develop test reports and defect reports based on test results, and
· Handle multiple priorities and be able to adapt to dynamic changes from both internal and external customers.
We are seeking an individual capable of working as part of a multi-company team to plan and execute field testing of Positive Train Control (PTC) Systems for a Class I railroad. The position requiresextensive interaction with multiple departments within the railroad, including senior management personnel. Activities will include test execution in the laboratory and in the field, evaluation of test results and development of test reports, and extensive coordination with railroad operations and technical personnel. The candidate should be capable of working equally with railroad, aE, and PTC subsystem supplier technical personnel, and with railroad operations, communications, signal, dispatch, mechanical, and safety personnel.
Responsibilities to include:
• Analyze customer’s current systems and methods of operation.
• Become proficient in the design and operation of the freight industry PTC system sufficient to plan PTC system testing under traffic.
• Develop plans and test approaches for field testing of Positive Train Control and other railroad systems. This will include selecting specific test cases for field testing, grouping test cases into test runs, and identifying specific track sections to perform each test run, determining dispatch and signal system conditions necessary to perform tests.
• Assist in development of logistics and safety plans for field test conduct, including identification of resources and Special Instructions required to conduct PTC tests using Hi-rail vehicles, or on test trains operating between revenue traffic.
• Coordinate test resources from multiple operating and technology departments, including personnel, train equipment, and systems.
• Participate in laboratory and field test readiness reviews.
• Coordinate and participate in tests, as applicable. Provide weekly and daily job briefings to all test participants.
• Maintain records of test execution, test results, and defects identified.
• Analyze test results.
• Develop test reports and provide briefings to railroad management.
• Experience in system documentation and application of structured systems engineering processes, including test planning and test execution and documentation.
• Experience in working with customers on requirements, testing, and system documentation, with demonstrated skills in customer interface.
• Proficiency with business software (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook, Visio etc.).
• Strong written and verbal English skills, with ability to generate complex technical documents and to brief railroad personnel, including senior management.
• Experience presenting technical plans or speaking on technical topics to both technical and non-technical team members.
• Ability to work on problems of diverse scope and multiple technologies.
• Ability to work independently or with cross functional teams as required.
• Detail oriented.
• Experience in communications, train control, or equipment used in rail systems.
• Knowledge of railroad operations, rules, and regulations a major plus.
• BS in Engineering or Computer Science preferred.