Director of Community Affairs
Job Title: Director of Community Affairs - Henrico
Reports To: Senior Director of PR & Marketing
Coordinates With: Chief Operating Officer, Chief Finance Officer, Executive Director, Director of Development
Date: May 2022
Job Description Summary (Purpose and Scope):
Working under the direction of the Senior Director of PR & Marketing, this position manages all donor relations and community outreach and affairs for An Achievable Dream in the Richmond/Henrico County region. The Director of Community Affairs will support outreach activities to include donor meetings, visitor and sponsor tours of the schools, special projects, special events, community engagement, strategic planning and communications. The scope of the position includes interaction and collaboration with community members, organizations, businesses, local officials, school administration, board members, students in grades K-12, and parents and families of students.
Expectation For All Employees:
Support the organization's mission and vision, and align with the core values: Belief, Equity, Whatever It Takes, Partnerships, Relationships, Continuous Improvement, Systemic Impact, and Organizational Integrity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In partnership with the President/CEO and Senior Director of PR & Marketing, design and implement a comprehensive strategic snapshot for success in developing key external alliances by cultivating individual, corporate, and public support.
- Identify new donor prospects through researching background information on potential donors and developing a plan to cultivate, solicit and steward donor relationships.
- Increase public awareness, forge new relationships, and grow community partnerships to build An Achievable Dream’s visibility, impact, and financial resources in the Richmond/Henrico County region.
- Develop and foster effective relationships with public officials, businesses, donors, news outlets, community stakeholders, and the general public through outreach meetings, school tours, and events.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of PR & Marketing, develop positive local media contacts and strategically generate local and regional publicity about An Achievable Dream Certified Academies in Henrico County, its activities and growth.
- In collaboration with the Events and Social Media Manager, assist with planning, promoting and executing special events for An Achievable Dream Certified Academies in Henrico County, with a focus on community, board, and regional stakeholder engagement events.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of PR & Marketing, develop branded materials that promote the mission and work of An Achievable Dream Certified Academies in Henrico County. Utilize the organization’s existing print and digital collateral and work with marketing department to develop new material as needed, including newsletters, e-newsletters, case statements, flyers, brochures and other materials, to promote the successes of AAD in Henrico County to constituents.
- Serve as primary point of contact between schools and AAD corporate office for coordinating and scheduling all tours of Henrico County program.
- Foster positive relationships with students and families through school, outreach, and community events.
- Assist campus Directors and Student Enrichment Coordinators with identifying What It Takes Corporate Partners, community resources, and field trips for student enrichment opportunities, including researching current and relevant opportunities for students of diverse populations.
- Assist with building awareness and client base for Achieve SAME Pro, An Achievable Dream’s curriculum and consulting service.
- Maintain and submit accurate reports on donor and community outreach for corporate office/partnership usage.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Senior Director of PR & Marketing.
- This position is a hybrid position, with some amount of remote work. Some elements of this role will require this role to be onsite at one of our two schools in Henrico County. The person in this role will be expected to work in-person at An Achievable Dream’s corporate office in Newport News 1-2 days per week.
- Position requires a Bachelor’s degree.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years communication, community engagement, public relations, events management or equivalent experience preferred.
- Must possess the ability to establish effective partnerships with various types of stakeholders.
- Must be well-organized and self-motivated.
- Excellent leadership, strategic thinking, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and organize events utilizing project management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of communications best practices.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- None required.
- Required computer skills a must in the following programs: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe, Outlook, social networking websites and the ability to navigate the Internet.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Involves various travel situations (monthly meetings, home visits, etc.).
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.