Administrative Assistant – Full-time
Performs skilled administrative support work assisting with a variety of administrative tasks, and related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Executive Director and supports all staff members.
Central Virginia Waste Management Authority (CVWMA) is a regional government entity providing waste and recycling services on behalf of 13 localities.
- Greets public and other visitors to Authority offices; provides information verbally or via mail/email.
- Attends Board meetings; transcribes, drafts and proofreads meeting minutes; assembles and prepares agenda and Board package materials; posts appropriate public notices.
- Types a variety of documents including contact directory, correspondence, forms, reports, etc. where knowledge of presentation and format is necessary; researches, complies and interacts with locality and contractor staff to gather and keep current data and information for Authority personnel.
- Assists in the preparation of periodic special and other reports; collects information from a variety of sources and compiles data; makes recommendations to improve standard operating procedures including cost comparisons.
- Maintains procedural manuals to ensure consistent performance of duties during absences.
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail, distributes faxes to appropriate staff member, assists with the distribution of informational and educational materials throughout the organization and to the public.
- Maintains accurate cash receipt logs; prepares and makes bank deposits; maintains and distributes petty cash; maintains cash transaction records.
- Maintains, updates and distributes monthly staff calendars; schedules appointments; makes meeting accommodations and arranges refreshments.
- Sorts, indexes and maintains various files and records.
- Maintains supply room; monitors and orders supplies as needed; notifies appropriate parties regarding building and equipment maintenance problems and/or concerns.
- Performs the duties of a Customer Service Representative when required.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
General knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, equipment and office assistance techniques; general knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic; general knowledge of the organization and of general administrative polices and practices; ability to keep records and to prepare accurate reports from file sources; ability to perform and organize work independently; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, vendors, associates and the general public.
Technical Skills: Proficient with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED and moderate experience in office assistance work including public contract work, or equivalent combination of education and experience.