SENIOR INTERNAL AUDITOR
SENIOR INTERNAL AUDITOR
Chief Objective of Position
The Senior Auditor position is responsible for the performance of financial, compliance, and operational risk-based audits of university operations and systems for the purpose of improving internal controls and adding value. In addition, this position may assist in the performance of audits to evaluate the security, integrity, contingency planning, policy and regulatory compliance, and risk management of university information systems. The auditor is to identify critical audit issues and develop and carry out an effective audit program within the time budget which results in meaningful management recommendations. The position requires the ability to use excellent oral and written communication skills to evaluate evidence and write accurate, concise work paper documentation and audit reports. The candidate must have the integrity to maintain confidentiality. The Senior Auditor will determine the scope of work performed, nature of testing completed and the reporting disposition of results in conjunction with the Internal Audit Director.
- In consultation with the Director, ensures proper audit planning and performs the audit work in accordance with IIA and other applicable standards. Develops an understanding of internal control concepts and assesses the adequacy of management’s controls. Prepares documentation to be placed in the work papers to support the planning phase of the audit.
- In consultation with the Director, writes the audit program to ensure adequate coverage of risks and identifies the objectives to be accomplished and the specific procedures to be carried out to accomplish the objectives based on control analyses and the documented understanding of the system.
- Performs additional research as needed to analyze and determine significant audit issues or risks for follow-up and inclusion in the audit program.
- Performs audit test work set forth in the audit program. Documents all analysis of evidential matters in accordance with department and professional standards to support testing and conclusions.
- Identifies potential audit findings/business issues and prepares written summaries documenting these audit observations and recommending corrective action for University management. Writes draft audit reports with minimal guidance and in accordance with department standards and format. Contributes to the development of the audit report using clear, concise language and participates in the exit conference with management. Assist in determining that adequate corrective action on reported audit findings is timely taken and is achieving the desired results.
- Proactively communicates audit issues and progress with the Director and proposes solutions to issues communicated.
- Works professionally with the University community and maintains a technical base of knowledge, staying current on industry practices. Meet or exceed IIA standards for all audit work performed. Demonstrate a willingness to develop new skills and learn new methodologies.
- Develops a customer service approach to more effectively promote the “students first” initiative ensuring that all constituents are served in a fast, friendly, efficient and effective manner.
- Develops and maintains very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees.
- Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully supports CNU Traditions and the “Students First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
- Safety issues are reviewed and communicated and goals are set to ensure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absences. Any violation of safety rules are addressed promptly.
- This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
- Performs special project work and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) related to position
- Ability to apply accounting principles, professional auditing standards and good business processes.
- Effective project management skills which promote productivity and completion of audit project within time budgets and deadlines.
- Ability to conduct a variety of audits with considerable independence.
- Ability to effectively collect and analyze data, draw conclusions and develop recommendations.
- Logic and reasoning ability necessary to perform analysis of information obtained during the audit and assess risk and exposures across a wide variety of processes;
- Organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Effective problem-solving skills; ability to comprehend and interpret policies, procedures, laws, regulations and guidelines; ability to identify areas of audit concern and demonstration of initiative and creativity in developing audit objective and procedures.
- Ability to communicate, both written and verbal, clearly and effectively;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; strong computer skills; excellent customer service skills.
- Possess a high energy level and strong work ethic with a commitment to continuous improvement in a dynamic environment that strives to exceed expectations.
Master’s Degree or a Bachelor’s Degree plus experience that equates to an advanced degree.
Additional Consideration - Education
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Management, Computer Science, MIS, or other relevant field.
- Certification as a CPA, CIA, CISA or CISSP or active pursuit of certification.
- Internal or external auditing experience.
- Experience in accounting and accounting systems or an enterprise system.
- Experience using spreadsheet and word processing software.
Additional Consideration - Experience
- Previous experience auditing information technology systems/departments.
- Experience with Banner enterprise system.
- Previous experience working in higher education, state/local government or public accounting. Experience in data management and analytics.
- Experience using automated work papers.
Starting at $63,434, to commensurate with education and experience.
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in the 388 Best Colleges: 2023 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience – great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls approximately 4,500 students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. Academic programs at Christopher Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as the #1 public regional university in Virginia and #3 in the South. The campus, convenient to neighborhoods, parks and the James River, features stunning public art and grounds and classical architecture.
Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored, and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We recruit exceptional and diverse faculty and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu.
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application.
Review of applications will begin at 11:59PM ET on March 5, 2024.
Applications received after 11:59PM ET on March 5, 2024, will be accepted but considered only if needed.
Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.