Director of Accounting
Director of Accounting
Chesterfield County, Virginia (Richmond-Metro Area), a recognized leader and award-winning local government, is seeking an experienced, innovative, and forward-thinking leader who will lead, plan, direct and oversee the operations of the Department of Accounting. The department has an annual budget of $4.2 million. The Accounting Department employs 42 staff members, is part of the Finance division and reports to the Deputy County Administrator for Finance and Administration.
The Director will provide key leadership in managing the day-to-day operations of the Accounting department to provide high quality services and programs including:
• Direct the efficient delivery of comprehensive financial programs, services and reports which safeguard public funds
• Lead the development of the department's vision for short and long-term strategic direction with the implementation of department initiatives in line with the county's strategic plan
• Implement consolidated county and school internal controls through policies, procedures and business practices that promote financial integrity and protect public assets
• Manage the daily operations of accounting services, to include, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, grant accounting and compliance, and general ledger and chart of account functions
• Coordinate the county's annual external audit and prepare the county's Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and Government Finance Officer Association (GFOA) excellence in financial reporting program requirements
• Provide financial recordkeeping and reports that comply with GAAP and meet regulatory requirements to ensure financial accountability
• Maintain automated systems to support operational efficiencies in the collection and analysis of financial data and to ensure accurate and reliable financial records
• Partner with key departments on actuarial reports for supplemental retirement plans and other post-employment
• Monitor and stay abreast of professional accounting, auditing and regulatory standards, including requirements of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Auditor of Public Accounts, Internal Revenue Services (IRS) developments and post issuance compliance for tax exempt debt
Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, finance or related field is required; master's degree is preferred. Minimum of ten years of progressively responsible related experience in accounting or finance, including a minimum of five years of managerial and leadership experience in a complex accounting environment, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Local government accounting/finance experience preferred. Certification as a Public Accountant (CPA) and Public Finance Officer (CPFO) are preferred.
Good driving record, pre-employment drug test and extensive background check required.
The application deadline date is May 20, 2022 at 5 p.m. Interested applicants should submit a confidential resume with cover letter and must include salary requirements to:
Mary Martin Selby, Director of Human Resources
Chesterfield County Human Resources
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Electronic responses are required and should be directed to
To review the recruitment profile and application instructions, visit https://www.chesterfield.gov/DocumentCenter/View/27065/Executive-Recruitment-Profile---Director-of-Accounting-PDF
or visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/chesterfieldco and review the Special Recruitment header.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity