Director of AccountingCounty of Chesterfield
DIRECTOR OF ACCOUNTING
Chesterfield County, Virginia (Richmond-Metro Area), a recognized leader and award-winning local government, is seeking an experienced, innovative and forward-thinking leader who will lead, plan, direct and oversee the Department of Accounting.
The director will provide key leadership in managing the day-to-day operations of the Accounting department to provide high quality services and programs including:
• Direct the efficient delivery of comprehensive financial programs, services and reports which safeguard public funds
• Lead the development of the department's vision for short and long-term strategic direction with the implementation of department initiatives in line with the county's strategic plan
• Implement consolidated county and school internal controls through policies, procedures and business practices that promote financial integrity and protect public assets
• Manage the daily operations of accounting services, to include, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, grant accounting and compliance, and general ledger and chart of account functions
• Coordinate the county's annual external audit and prepare the county's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and Government Finance Officer Association (GFOA) excellence in financial reporting program requirements
• Provide financial recordkeeping and reports that comply with GAAP and meet regulatory requirements to ensure financial accountability
• Maintain automated systems to support operational efficiencies in the collection and analysis of financial data and to ensure accurate and reliable financial records
• Partner with key departments on actuarial reports for supplemental retirement plans and other post-employment benefit plans
• Monitor and stay abreast of professional accounting, auditing and regulatory standards, including requirements of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Auditor of Public Accounts, Internal Revenue Services (IRS) developments and post issuance compliance for tax exempt debt
Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field is required. Master's degree is preferred. A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible related experience, including a minimum of five years in a supervisor/leadership capacity, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Local government accounting/finance experience is a plus. Certification as a Public Accountant (CPA) and Public Finance Officer (CPFO) are preferred.
Good driving record, pre-employment drug test and extensive background check required.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Committed to Workforce Diversity