Director of Building InspectionCounty Of Chesterfield
Director of Building Inspection
Chesterfield County seeks a dynamic and visionary leader to work effectively & collaboratively with Building Inspection staff as well as other county departments, governmental agencies, elected officials and citizens of the county. The selected candidate's responsibilities include active involvement in all aspects of directing, supervising, coordinating, and administering building inspection activities and personnel for efficient delivery of services, including:
• Directing and managing Building Inspection staff and inspection activities, including assigning, training, and evaluating all departmental staff;
• Administration and enforcement of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, Property Maintenance Code and County Ordinances;
• Developing and administering departmental administrative policies and procedures; budget, and strategic plan;
• Recommending amendments to the County Building Ordinance and interpreting the provisions of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code;
• Directing and administering stop-work orders, notices of violation, certificates of occupancy, correspondence and issuance of permits;
• Coordinating the approval of plans and specifications for new construction and modifications to existing buildings, structures, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical systems;
• Assisting citizens with questions, concerns, and problems; and
• Serving on local, regional and national committees and associations.
Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree in structural or civil engineering or related field (master's degree preferred), a minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible senior level managerial experience in an organization of comparable size and complexity or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Additional requirements include Certification by the State Board of Housing and Community Development in accordance with the Code of Virginia. Good driving record, pre-employment drug test and extensive background check required.
The ideal candidate will have expert knowledge of modern building construction practices, the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and County Building Ordinances and considerable skill in supervising and evaluating the work of others. The ideal candidate will also maintain cooperative relationships with inspectors, contractors, developers, property owners, other county departments and the general public while analyzing and evaluating solutions to construction-related problems including relevant expert knowledge in the preparation of technical reports and documents; supervision of the conduct of on-site inspections; and enforcing contractual specifications and the building code in an efficient and effective manner will be key to successful outcomes for the new director.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity