Director of TransportationCounty Of Chesterfield
Director of Transportation
Chesterfield County seeks a dynamic and visionary leader to work effectively & collaboratively with Transportation staff as well as other county departments, governmental agencies, elected officials and residents of the county. The selected candidate's responsibilities will also include active involvement in all aspects of directing, supervising, coordinating, and administering transportation activities and personnel for efficient delivery of services, including:
• Directing and managing Transportation staff and transportation activities, including assigning, training, and evaluating all departmental staff ;
• Developing and administering departmental administrative policies and procedures; budget, and strategic plan;
• Serving on local, regional and national committees and associations.
• Works collaboratively with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) on coordination of development proposals, road maintenance, project scheduling and construction.
• Partnering with local, state and federal entities and regional planning organizations.
• The director will serve as the county resource in providing technical information and policy recommendations to the Board of Supervisors, County Administrator and Planning Commission on transportation related issues.
Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree in civil or transportation engineering, urban planning, public administration or related field (master's degree desired), a minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible senior level managerial experience in transportation planning, including a minimum of five years in a supervisory/leadership capacity, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Professional Engineering (PE) license in the commonwealth of Virginia or able to register in the Commonwealth of Virginia within six months of appointment is required. Experience working in a fast-paced, growing community or organization is a plus. Good driving record, pre-employment drug test and extensive background check required.
The ideal candidate will have expert knowledge of transportation principles and practices, transportation engineering and regulations and considerable skill in supervising and evaluating the work of others. The ideal candidate will also maintain cooperative relationships with the development community, local, state and federal entities and various commissions/boards.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity