IST Data Engineer
IST Data Engineer
Information System Technology (IST)
Salary Range: $87,950 - $149,515
Deadline: 11:59 p.m. July 31, 2022
What does our team do?
The Data & Analytics team is critical to the success of our data driven government. We build solutions that improve the quality of life for the citizens of Chesterfield County. This team not only performs data analysis and critical thinking, but we roll up our sleeves up to manage ETL, build business layers, curate data into information that support informative analytics. If you love working with data and have a passion for leveraging technology to realize value, you may be a fit for our team. Our team objectives are to
• Evangelize the concept of "data as an asset"
• Formulate insights that foster innovation
• Enable effective decision-making through shared county data
• Enable the capability of data science to empower business users
The Data Analyst/Developer/Engineer family range from entry level to senior level positions all growing towards leaders, coaches, and mentors.
On any given day you will…
• Translate complex data specific business requirements to identify proper systems of record to design and populate data delivery layers.
• Design business-oriented information delivery layers to support best practices, single versions of the truth, enhanced with accurate metadata.
• Design and create moderate to complex ETL routines using Azure Data Factory Pipelines or SSIS packages, which include integrated data quality routines.
• Partner directly with key officials of public departments like Fire, Police, Schools and Health to help them meet their challenging information delivery demand.
• Learn new technologies and determine how best to integrate them into our landscape.
• Create exciting dashboards using state-of-the-art visualization tools like Power BI.
• Coach and support other team members with tools and processes
You will be successful if you have…
• Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or related field from an accredited university or college. Advanced degree preferred. Sufficient practical experience maybe be considered in lieu of a degree program.
• At least six years required, ten years preferred, of demonstrated experience, 3 or more years with MSSQL Server management, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, Power BI, and Azure cloud services like Pipelines, Data Factory, and Purview or related data dictionary work.
• Experience developing solutions with Data Factory pipelines, Python coding, Synapse, DevOps, and GIS tools will be useful as well.
• A desire to continue building your skills in variety of machine learning techniques such as clustering and decision tree learning.
• Advanced experience in developing custom data models, algorithms, data integration, data cataloging, and metadata management.
You will know you have what it takes if you have…
• Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills
• Expert skills in database query language and semantic modeling
• Expert skills in data analytics, reports, visualizations, and dashboards
• A drive to learn and master new data technologies and techniques.
• Excellent skills with processes related to project life cycles, software development life cycles, requirements gathering, testing methodologies, and source control
• A strong work ethic with an appreciation of the value in diversity
• Excellent communication, team building, and interpersonal skills with a customer-focused approach
• A desire to build trust, stay agile, and focus on innovation
You will love working for Chesterfield County!
Chesterfield County is the fourth largest local jurisdiction in the state of Virginia and is a recognized leader across the country for being innovative, delivering high-quality results, and embracing new technology. The Center for Digital Government has recognized Chesterfield as one of the top five counties of our size over the past several years. Awards and recognitions for innovative business solutions, openness, and transparency of information are received annually. Chesterfield IT teams have performed well at the Governor of Virginia's Data-thon challenge the past three years, earning the coveted Governor's Cup last year.
Civic pride and making a difference are just two reasons to join the Chesterfield County team. Come help Chesterfield achieve the vision of "being an extraordinary and innovative community in which to live, learn, work, and play".
Pre-employment drug testing, FBI criminal background check and education/degree verification required. This position is subject to working in high security areas governed by the US Department of Justice's "Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Policy" and therefore requires successfully passing a more stringent criminal background check.
PLEASE NOTE: Must maintain personal mobile technology as a condition of employment.
This position is a part of an approved Career Development Plan (CDP) and offers career progression opportunities and salary incentives, as funding permits, based on performance, qualifications, and experience.
A Chesterfield County application is required and must be submitted online by deadline.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion