PRINCIPAL PLANT OPERATOR - UTILITIES
PRINCIPAL PLANT OPERATOR
Deadline: 11:59 p.m. March 26, 2023
Chesterfield County Government is seeking a Principal Plant Operator to focus on plant operations at Chesterfield County’s wastewater treatment plants. The Principal Plant Operator will perform all operational aspects required to maintain compliance with federal, state and local regulations governing wastewater treatment. This requires observations and/or adjustments of physical, chemical, and biological treatment processes at a wastewater treatment plant. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Operate process equipment and systems associated with wastewater treatment
- Monitor the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA)
- Observe and record process trends related to equipment operation and plant performance on daily log sheets
- Monitor and adjust process control instrumentation
- Inventory chemicals and inspect chemical dosing pumps and storage tanks
- Ensure proper operation of samplers, collect process monitoring samples and perform field analytical tests
- Transfer sludge by manually turning valves in correct sequence with operation of pumping equipment
- Perform preventive maintenance
- Work outdoors in the elements
- Perform other work, as required
This position is part of an approved Career Development Plan (CDP) and offers career progression opportunities and salary incentives, as funding permits, based on performance, qualifications, and experience.
Successful candidate will possess a high school diploma or GED and three years of experience in wastewater treatment plant operations or maintenance field and a Commonwealth of Virginia Class I Wastewater Operator's License is required for Principal Plant Operators; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Applicants without a Class I Wastewater Works Treatment Works Operator's License who possess a Class II, Class III, or non-licensed status will receive consideration at lower level plant operator classifications, salaries, and grades/ranges.
The hiring range for this position, depending upon qualifications, are as follows:
- $55,514 - $74,943 for applicants with a Commonwealth of Virginia Class I Wastewater Works Treatment Operator's License and three years of related experience.
- $50,114 - $67,653 for applicants with a Commonwealth of Virginia Class II Wastewater Works Treatment Operator's License and two years of related experience.
- $45,239 - $61,072 for applicants with a Commonwealth of Virginia Class III Wastewater Works Treatment Operator's License and one year of related experience or hold a bachelor's degree in biological, chemical or engineering Science or related field.
- $40,839 - $55,131 for non-licensed applicants that will start as an Unlicensed Operator.
Through the career development plan, operators without or with licenses lower than a Class I license will receive salary increases after passing higher license exams and establishing minimum tenure requirements.
Other requirements: Candidate must be at least eighteen (18) years of age at date of hire. Candidate must be able to perform manual labor in the elements. Required duties include use of ladders, lifting up to fifty (50) pounds, and standing or walking for 30 minutes at a time. Current valid driver’s license and good driving record required. Based on the Virginia DMV point system, record must not reflect a total of six or more demerit points within the twenty-four months preceding the anticipated hire date, or one major violation of six demerit points within the preceding thirty-six months. Out of state driving records must be obtained by applicant and presented at time of interview. Records must reflect at least three years of history and be dated within thirty days of interview date. Pre-employment drug testing, FBI criminal background check, and education/degree verification required.
A Chesterfield County application is required and must be submitted online by deadline. Visit chesterfield.gov/careers to view instructions and to complete and submit an application. (804) 748-1551.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion