School Bus Technicians - Automotive
School Bus Technicians
Hiring Range: $40,119 - $47,217
Deadline: 11:59 p.m. December 5, 2021
The Department of General Services provides services and support to both internal and external customers through the operation of seven divisions, each with unique missions: Airport, Buildings and Grounds, Capital Projects Management, Fleet Services, Radio Communications, Security Management, Waste and Resource Recovery, and a consolidated Administration division.
Our Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an energetic, self-motivated, and reliable team member who has a passion to make a difference in serving our community. We would love for you to be a part of our Fleet Services team.
This position serves as member of our School Bus Technician team in our Fleet Services division. This position will provide preventive maintenance and repair to maintain safety of school buses for county schools. Duties require examining vehicles and communicating the nature and extent of damage or malfunction. Diagnose bus problems and plan work procedures. Use charts, technical manuals, and high tech computerized diagnostic equipment to identify and fix problems. Performs state and safety inspections, conducts road service calls, test drive vehicles, prepares and maintains records and reports concerning repairs of equipment. Performs daily and monthly preventive maintenance and repair of diesel engine school buses to ensure compliance with state and federal safety guidelines and regulations. Repair tasks include, but are not limited to diesel engine, fuel, electrical/electronic, power train, suspension, air brakes, steering, heating/cooling, and exhaust systems. Other duties include repair and replacement of school bus lighting systems, wheelchair lift equipment, tire service, and seat repairs. This position is a part of an approved Career Development Plan (CDP) and offers career progression opportunities and salary incentives, as funding permits, based on performance, qualifications, and experience.
Position Requirements and Preferred Skills
• High school diploma or GED and two to three years of experience in the maintenance, repair, and computerized diagnosis of medium-heavy truck faults at a journeyman technician rating; or an associate degree in automotive technology from an accredited college plus two years of hands-on automotive experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Graduation from an accredited automotive trade school or apprenticeship program may be substituted for two years of experience.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds and stand for prolonged periods
• Applicants with lesser experience may be considered at a trainee rate of $38,113.
• Applicant must provide his/her own tools.
• Must possess or be able to obtain a Virginia State Inspection Certificate, a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL), and a current EPA-Approve Section 609 Refrigerant and Recovery Certification within nine months
• Current valid driver's license and good driving record required. Based on Virginia DMV point system, record must not reflect a total of six or more demerit points within the twenty-four months preceding the anticipated hire date, or one major violation of six demerit points within the preceding thirty-six months. Out of state driving records must be obtained by applicant and presented at time of interview. Record must reflect at least three years of history and be dated within 30 days of interview date.
• Conditions may include occasional work in adverse weather conditions and/or extreme temperatures.
Position Work Schedule
Monday – Friday; available shifts between 5:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; rotating on-call after hours required (evenings, nights, weekends)
Position Hiring Range: $40,119 - $47,217
Our Compensation and Benefits
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including the Virginia Retirement System defined benefit plan. We work hard to serve our community, but we also value work-life balance through paid time off benefits and benefit wellness programs. We support professional development through career development plans, tuition reimbursement program, our award-winning learning and development programs, and opportunities for advancement within the organization. Uniforms, quarterly tool allowance, and technical training provided.
Pre-employment drug testing, FBI criminal background check and education/degree verification required.
Position is open until filled (first review began August 23, 2021).
PLEASE NOTE: Previous applicants do not need to re-apply. Applications will remain under consideration until position is filled.
Are you Interested in Joining our Team?
A Chesterfield County application is required and must be submitted online by deadline.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion