ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES ASSISTANT
Under supervision of the Fiscal Supervisor, this position is dually responsible for providing
front desk (receptionist) and reimbursement processing services. This position is
responsible for providing clerical support to Goochland Powhatan Community Services
providers located in Goochland and Powhatan Counties. This position greets consumers
and assists with checking them in for appointments and scheduling upcoming appointments.
Assignment may be at either the Goochland or Powhatan location.
JOB EXPECTATIONS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Front Desk Duties:
• Open and close the office each day.
• Serve as receptionist for GPCS office(s) including greeting consumers and guests,
assisting walk-ins, answering phone calls, routing calls as appropriate, and checking
• Maintain computerized appointment schedules for doctors, nurse practitioners and
clinicians including scheduling, rescheduling and cancelling appointments as necessary.
• Log consumer’s appointment information into Electronic Health Record.
• Maintain consumer demographic information in the Electronic Health Record through
use of established report and/or notification procedures.
• Receive and transmit payments at time of service.
• Conduct orientation and financial interviews with consumers including appeals, evaluation
of financial ability, and preparation of consumer packets.
• Perform appointment reminder phone calls.
• Maintains doctors’ schedule.
• Pull charts for medical record requests as needed.
• Cancel LabCorp pickups when not needed
• Keep inventory of required office products, including appointment cards, and business
cards for staff; ordering additional supplies when necessary.
• Assist with administrative tasks, including established auditing procedures, as requested
• Complete fire drills, check fire/safety equipment periodically (including all first aid kits), as
required by Agency Safety Officer.
• Be a resource to all agency staff and consumers regarding billing and front office issues.
• Receive incoming mail, date stamp, and distribute.
• Scan consumer information received from clinicians into consumer record.
• Shred confidential information that is placed in the shred bins by staff.
• Work insurance eligibility reports and Expired Liability list.
• Work daily “To Do List” as generated by the Electronic Health Record.
• Enter day support attendance into an Excel spreadsheet for billing.
• Run pre-billing reports as assigned by Supervisor
• Process billing as required by supervisor including preparing statements, applying
insurance payments, preparing insurance billing, bankruptcy processing and researching
• Prepare driver sheets and submit billing for transportation services.
• Research and respond to consumer complaints and questions regarding billing.
• To perform other assigned duties as necessary within established policy and procedures.
Safety Officer Duties (if assigned):
• Perform monthly inspection of fire extinguishers, ensure exit lights are working, and test
• Perform quarterly building safety check observing unsafe conditions and potential fire
hazards. Inspect First Aid and Bloodborne Pathogen kits.
• Schedule quarterly Safety Committee meetings and prepare a report regarding
suggestions or concerns related to safety by attendees.
High School Diploma or GED
1 to 2 years of prior front office work and fiscal reporting. Prior experience in a
medical office environment or insurance, with medical coding work is desired.
Position will be required to possess a valid Virginia driver's license
Must submit to pre-hire criminal background check
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of services provided and consumer population served by Goochland
Powhatan Community Services.
• Knowledge of consumers with intellectual, developmental, and mental disabilities and
• Knowledge of Goochland Powhatan Community Services policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of customer service and acceptable phone etiquette practices.
• Knowledge of maintaining both paper and electronic files.
• Knowledge of Record Management requirements for program documentation.
• Ability to work with persons with disabilities and handle a variety of behaviors.
• Ability to communicate with consumers and consumer’s family members or guardians.
• Ability to relate well with public, staff, and county personnel in performing tasks.
• Ability to utilize computer software, keyboarding, in performing data entry and report
preparation. This includes Microsoft Office programs and Electronic Health Record
• Ability to exercise sound judgment, demonstrate initiative, and work with minimal
• Ability to multi-task and handle interruptions.
• Ability to be a team player.
• Ability to complete required training including Crisis Intervention/Emergency Behavior
Support and in-service First Aid and CPR training.
• Possess good communications skills.
• Possess good organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of consumer’s information.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the
essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known
limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer
undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Work environment is primarily an office environment working at a desk. Position may be at
either Goochland or Powhatan offices and require travel to either office.
Sitting: 90%; Standing/Walking 8%; Driving: 2%
Average Weight Required to lift or carry at any one time: 50 pounds for brief periods of time