INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Virginia – Central Region, Richmond
The Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP) is seeking an experienced international business development professional to assist Virginia-based companies in generating international sales.
This is a unique opportunity to work with a broad range of companies from the Central Region of Virginia as they grow their export sales. By recruiting and managing a portfolio of companies to participate in VEDP International Trade’s programs and services, this position will consult with companies to provide advice and guidance on entering new international markets. This position will facilitate access to international trade development resources provided by VEDP, such as customized market research, international matchmaking, export compliance, and grants to help Virginia companies grow their international sales.
This position reports to the Managing Director, Client Development and is part of VEDP’s International Trade division, which is recognized as the leading state international trade development program in the U.S. VEDP offers an attractive benefits package, featuring a defined benefit retirement program that vests in just five years.
- Identify and recruit companies from the Central region to participate in VEDP International Trade programs and services
- Consult with companies to develop international business development plans and track progress toward goals
- Provide advice and guidance on entering new international markets and growing international sales
- Maintain relationships with companies that are currently enrolled in programs and those that have completed programs
- Lead delegations of Virginia companies attending international trade shows and participating in VEDP-sponsored trade missions approximately 1-2 times per year
- Maintain proper documentation to track client progress and ensure deadlines are met to provide excellent service to Virginia companies
- Collaborate with private-sector service providers, regional organizations, and industry associations to increase awareness of international trade development services provided by VEDP International Trade
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with partner organizations, including industry associations and economic developers, to identify new companies to participate in VEDP International Trade programs
- Regular travel within the region and occasional international travel are required
- Collaborative business development manager who is a self-starter in the generation of new clients
- Able to achieve results working independently and as part of a team
- Client/account management
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excels under pressure in a fast-paced, high-profile work environment
- Enjoys meeting needs/deadlines of internal and external customers
- Experience utilizing Salesforce or CRM system
- Strong experience in export practices and international business development
- Considerable knowledge of foreign business practices and federal regulations pertaining to the export of goods/services is requested
- A bachelor’s degree in international business or related field, or equivalent work experience is required
- A valid driver’s license and passport are required
This position works with companies in the following localities within the Central Region, including Richmond, Ashland, Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Amelia County, Caroline County, Charles City County, Chesterfield County, Cumberland County, Dinwiddie County, Essex County, Fluvanna County, Goochland County, Hanover County, Henrico County, King and Queen County, King William County, Lancaster County, Louisa County, Middlesex County, New Kent County, Northumberland County, Nottoway County, Powhatan County, Prince George County, Richmond County and Westmoreland County.
In addition to working with companies in the localities listed the person must also live within the territory.
Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. VEDP uses the E-Verify system and does not provide sponsorship.
All candidates must apply through our website https://www.vedp.org/careers. Applicants must submit a résumé and a cover letter. Salary minimum - $85,000. Application deadline: November 25, 2022.
VEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities. It is VEDP’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applicants requiring more information or requiring assistance may contact VEDP Human Resources at 1-804-545-5634 or vedphr@VEDP.org. TDD 1-800-828-1120.