MANAGER, ECONOMIC COMPETITIVENESS
MANAGER, ECONOMIC COMPETITIVENESS
The Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP) is seeking a Manager to support the work of its Economic Competitiveness division in providing timely, thoughtful research, and analyses of Virginia’s economic competitiveness, communicating insights to executive-level audiences, and developing and implementing solutions. This role will also involve direct management or oversight of analyst(s) and/or intern(s) on the team and significant stakeholder engagement.
The Economic Competitiveness Division is responsible for leading projects across all areas of economic development while providing frequent and in-depth thought partnership and engagement with senior leadership of the organization and state government. The division focuses on three primary responsibilities:
- Strategic (long-term) and operational (annual) planning for the organization
- Identification of opportunities and development of solutions to improve Virginia’s long-term competitiveness relative to other states and global geographies
- Supporting or leading efforts on transformational projects, proactive research, and program development
- Contribute to developing and executing VEDP’s annual operational plan and developing and executing the five-year strategic plan
- Support and lead discrete projects and workstreams, from support for transformational projects to answering specific research questions proposed by VEDP’s external stakeholders (e.g., issues identified by local partners or requests from the General Assembly)
- Work with the Division and VEDP’s senior leadership to identify opportunities to improve Virginia’s economic competitiveness (e.g., human capital, site development, business climate), develop solutions to address identified challenges, and engage stakeholders to ensure the long-term success of the solutions
- Take a leading role in providing targeted, timely project management, research, and analytic support for select public policy and programmatic initiatives
- Working with the Division leadership to appropriately scope out workstreams for analysts and associates, ensuring effective execution of these workstreams, and providing professional development, coaching, and mentorship(s)
- Experience balancing multiple projects and leadership styles through work or education experiences
- Ability to possess detailed analytical and quantitative problem-solving
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail, as written work will often be scrutinized and relied upon by outside entities
- Excellent computer proficiency, particularly with Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to multitask and work under time pressure
- Bachelor’s degree in social science (economics, public policy, or political science), mathematics, data analytics, business, accounting, or a related field. Advanced degree in related field preferred.
- 2-5 years’ experience in strategic planning, economic development, public policy, or working at a top-tier professional service firm (e.g., management/strategy consulting, investment banking)
Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. VEDP uses the E-Verify system and does not provide sponsorship.
All candidates must apply through our website https://www.vedp.org/about-vedp. A valid driver’s license is required. Applicants must provide a résumé and a cover letter. Salary Minimum: $70,000. Application deadline: May 20, 2022.
VEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities. It is VEDP’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applicants requiring more information or requiring assistance may contact VEDP Human Resources at 1-804-545-5634 or vedphr@VEDP.org. TDD 1-800-828-1120.