MANAGING DIRECTOR, INTERNATIONAL TRADE
MANAGING DIRECTOR, INTERNATIONAL TRADE
The Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP) is seeking an experienced international business development professional to manage and provide leadership to a business development team and create and implement a program focused on providing export assistance resources to large Virginia exporters. This position will also serve as part of the division’s overall leadership and management team, contributing to strategic planning efforts, program and service development, establishing metrics, and ensuring client satisfaction. This position reports to the Senior Vice President of International Trade and is part of VEDP’s International Trade division, which is recognized as the leading state international trade development program in the U.S.
- Manage a team of 10+ business development managers responsible for recruiting companies to participate in VEDP International Trade programs and services and counseling those companies on their export strategies
- Provide personal leadership for direct reports through employee engagement, mentorship, professional development, and timely feedback
- Oversee efforts to identify and conduct outreach to Virginia companies targeted for VEDP International Trade programs and services and provide guidance and leadership to client-facing managers on identifying and engaging with clients
- Create and implement a new program to provide targeted and customized international trade resources to Virginia’s high volume and high value exporting companies; manage service delivery to companies enrolled in the program
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with partner organizations, including industry associations and economic developers, to identify new companies to participate in VEDP International Trade programs
- Provide vision to enhance strategies and initiatives that achieve the International Trade division’s results for number of companies served, international sales by clients, jobs supported by International Trade programs, and client satisfaction
- Collaborate with international program management team to provide relevant market intelligence, market opportunities, and creative solutions to assist clients in increasing their international sales
- Frequent overnight and occasional international travel required
- Management of direct reports with a track record of developing people and building successful teams
- Considerable knowledge of international business development and/or marketing strategies and methodologies
- Client/account management
- Ability to manage in a team environment and leverage partners in public and private sectors
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of international business practices and cultural norms
- 10+ years international business development experience and knowledge of export practices
- Considerable experience managing and supervising teams and tracking individual performance metrics
- Executive level experience in the private or public sector
- Undergraduate degree in international business, marketing, or equivalent work experience is required
- Valid driver’s license and passport required
Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. VEDP uses the E-Verify system and does not provide sponsorship.
All candidates must apply through our website https://www.vedp.org/careers. Applicants must provide a résumé and a cover letter. Salary minimum: $115,000. Application deadline: August 5, 2022.
VEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities. It is VEDP’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applicants requiring more information or requiring assistance may contact VEDP Human Resources at 1-804-545-5634 or vedphr@VEDP.org. TDD 1-800-828-1120.