PROPOSAL & STRATEGY MANAGER
PROPOSAL & STRATEGY MANAGER
The Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP) is seeking a creative and solutions-oriented proposal management professional to lead its Client Communications team. The position will manage a team of two proposal coordinators responsible for developing customized, client-responsive proposals and other documents that effectively convey Virginia’s competitive advantages to site selection consultants and major companies interested in relocating or expanding their operations. The team supports pursuit management throughout the entire business development lifecycle from win strategy to upstream client outreach to proposal response. It is a highly collaborative position requiring the coordination of inputs from internal teams and subject-matter experts, as well as state, regional, and local partners.
For more than two decades, VEDP has served as Virginia’s statewide economic development authority. As a quasi-independent state authority governed by a board of directors that spans gubernatorial administrations, VEDP is a nonpartisan organization with stable leadership and nimble, creative, mission-focused operations. VEDP offers a unique opportunity to directly support the economic growth of the Commonwealth in a dynamic, collaborative, high-profile, and fast-paced professional environment.
- Lead discussions to develop a strong understanding of client needs, competitive landscape, project risks, etc.
- Collaboratively develop win strategies based on Virginia’s competitive advantages
- Develop robust project plans and effectively delegate tasks to appropriate parties
- Coordinate with technical staff, subject matter experts, and external partners to develop/review/edit narrative, analysis, graphics, etc. for client deliverables
- Ensure application of quality standards and conformity with client requirements
- Ensure utilization of project management protocols and project management tools
- Manage and provide leadership to a team of two proposal coordinators
- Continuously identify opportunities for improving products and processes
- Ensure knowledge generated during pursuit process is captured and efficiently managed for future use
- Cultivate strong working relationships with internal and external partners, as well as priority client accounts
The successful applicant will have:
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills
- Ability to analyze business problems, identify creative solutions, and develop strong win strategies
- Comfort engaging with subject matter experts on issues related to business finance, taxes, real estate, economics, etc.
- Ability to synthesize information / data from different sources in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage tight deadlines
- Capacity to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn
- High level of attention to detail
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to visually represent data in creative ways
Highly competitive applicants will also have one or several of the following:
- Knowledge of InDesign and/or other Adobe tools
- Experience using website content management platforms (e.g., WordPress)
- Proficiency with Salesforce or other CRM software
- Knowledge of economic development or regional / urban planning
- Familiarity with Virginia’s economy
- 5 - 7 years’ experience writing proposals or equivalent professional experience, preferably in a Professional Services or consulting firm
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, English, or other relevant field
- Experience leading teams in a matrix environment
- Experience interacting with executive-level stakeholders
Under Executive Directive #18, effective September 1, 2021, all employees must disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status to designated Human Resources personnel. If fully vaccinated, employees are required to submit vaccination documentation to designated Human Resources personnel. Those who are not fully vaccinated or have not disclosed their current vaccination status, must undergo weekly COVID-19 testing. All weekly testing results must be disclosed to designated Human Resources Personnel.
All candidates must apply through our website: https://www.vedp.org/about-vedp. Candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply. A valid driver’s license is required. Applicants must provide a résumé and a short cover letter. Work samples may be requested of short-listed applicants. Salary Minimum: $75,000. Application deadline: January 14, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
VEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities. It is VEDP’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applicants requiring more information or requiring assistance may contact VEDP Human Resources at 1-804-545-5634 or vedphr@VEDP.org. TDD 1-800-828-1120.