STRATEGIC ENGAGEMENT & LEAD GENERATION MANAGER - MANUFACTURING
STRATEGIC ENGAGEMENT & LEAD GENERATION MANAGER
Virginia Economic Development Partnership Overview
One of the wealthiest and most beautiful states in America, the Commonwealth of Virginia is fortunate to have exceptional talent, as well as distinctive geographic and infrastructure assets, including the Port of Virginia. Widely viewed as an attractive state for business, Virginia is home to a diverse array of leading private-sector firms, national labs, important military installations, and one of the most educated populations in the country.
For more than two decades, the Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP) has served as Virginia’s state economic development authority and is regarded as among the best economic development organizations in the country. As a quasi-independent state authority governed by a board of directors that spans gubernatorial administrations, VEDP is a nonpartisan organization with stable leadership and nimble, creative, mission-focused operations. VEDP aspires to become America’s most effective and impactful state economic development organization (EDO).
VEDP is designing and implementing an innovative framework to deliver nation-leading economic growth by building an economic development enterprise that positions Virginia as an unparalleled location to do business. To take our impact to the next level, our vision involves accelerating change along three key dimensions: developing deeper sector-based expertise; putting a greater, coordinated focus on sector-focused ecosystem development; and building a new “whole-of-government” approach more fully integrating our work with colleagues across state government, as well as with local and regional partners.
VEDP offers a dynamic, collaborative, high-profile, fast-paced professional environment where a strategic, integrated, action-oriented approach is the standard.
VEDP is seeking an experienced economic development or industry professional to execute lead generation, pipeline development, and oversight of after-care for priority companies in targeted high-growth sectors on the Manufacturing team. This team is responsible for the Advanced Manufacturing, Food Processing and Manufacturing, and Biopharmaceuticals industries. These industries represent some of the Commonwealth's largest potential job growth opportunities.
- Lead Generation: Co-develop and execute lead generation strategy for assigned industries
- Pipeline Development: Manage lead development pipeline of potential projects
- After-care: Follow-up to provide continued check-ins and support for priority companies
Working with the Vice President, Manufacturing, the Strategic Engagement and Lead Generation (SEL) Manager role offers the ability to take a key role in VEDP’s Innovative Framework for Economic Growth by designing and executing sector strategies to take Virginia’s economic development efforts to the next level and foster greater economic growth. The SEL Manager will engage with business decision makers and influencers in one or more assigned industries to understand key drivers for growth to inform Virginia’s sector growth strategy. The position provides the opportunity to coordinate the development of industry ecosystems through frequent and in-depth thought partnership and engagement with leaders across state government, regional and local EDOs, and the private sector. The SEL will work in partnership with the Manufacturing team and stakeholders to strengthen regional ecosystems, enhance statewide competitiveness, increase start-up formation, develop homegrown companies into anchors, and realize organic growth. Frequent travel is required.
The Strategic Engagement and Lead Generation Manager, Manufacturing has three (3) core responsibility areas. These are listed below with approximate time distributions.
Lead Generation 40%
- Coordinate with sector team to develop and execute lead generation strategy for assigned industries
- Identify projects in market through conducting lead generation campaigns, attending call trips, trade shows and events, and developing client relationships
- Support the development of VEDP’s annual lead generation calendar by recommending lead generation activities for assigned industries
- Identify and build strong working relationships across stakeholders in assigned sectors, including business decision-makers, trade associations, governmental organizations, affiliated economic development allies, higher education institutions, and other key stakeholders
- Communicate insights from industry engagements to inform sector strategy
Pipeline Development 40%
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with priority companies in assigned industries
- Enhance ecosystem development efforts by identifying new and better ways to leverage Virginia’s resources, including higher education institutions, businesses, business groups, transportation assets and other state-related entities, resulting in greater lead generation and project opportunities
- Consistently monitor pipeline status of potential projects and provide progress summaries as needed
- Ensure successful hand-off to project manager and provide continued support as needed to ensure project success
- Receive successful hand-off back from project manager, including understanding project outcome and details
- Maintain ongoing relationships with priority companies and identify opportunities for targeted support
- Develop feedback loop to share after-care information back into lead generation process to identify opportunities for additional projects
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, economics, or related field, or equivalent work experience
- At least two years of relevant experience
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to quickly develop trusting working relationships
- Ability to sell and develop deals, while providing client support
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a team environment and leverage partners in public and private sectors, including higher education partners, and local and regional economic development partners, among others
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent strategic analysis and problem-solving skills
- Excellent computer proficiency, particularly with spreadsheet (Excel) and presentation (PowerPoint) development; experience with Salesforce is a plus
- Support of organization-wide efforts
- Strong organizational skills and ability to plan and successfully manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work under time pressure
- A valid Virginia driver’s license and the ability to obtain a passport required
- Participation and experience with government agencies, industry organizations, and manufacturing-related research and development partnerships
- Experience in manufacturing innovation centers and/or developing university and industry partnerships
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of economic development, sales, business development, and lead generation
Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. VEDP uses the E-Verify system and does not provide sponsorship.
All candidates must apply through our website https://www.vedp.org/careers. Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter. A valid Virginia driver’s license and ability to obtain a passport is required. Salary minimum: $85,000. Application deadline: June 9, 2023.
VEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities. It is VEDP’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applicants requiring more information or requiring assistance may contact VEDP Human Resources at 1-804-545-5634 or vedphr@VEDP.org. TDD 1-800-828-1120.