VICE PRESIDENT, KNOWLEDGE WORK
Vice President, Knowledge Work
Virginia Economic Development Partnership Overview
One of the wealthiest and most beautiful states in America, the Commonwealth of Virginia is fortunate to have exceptional talent, as well as distinctive geographic and infrastructure assets. Widely viewed as an attractive state for business, Virginia is home to a diverse array of leading private-sector firms, national labs, important military installations, and one of the most educated populations in the country.
For more than two decades, the Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP) has served as Virginia’s state economic development authority and is regarded as among the best economic development organizations in the country. As a quasi-independent state authority governed by a board of directors that spans gubernatorial administrations, VEDP is a nonpartisan organization with stable leadership and nimble, creative, mission-focused operations. VEDP aspires to become America’s most effective and impactful state economic development organization (EDO).
VEDP offers a dynamic, collaborative, high-profile, fast-paced professional environment where a strategic, integrated, action-oriented approach is the standard.
The Vice President, Knowledge Work provides primary staff leadership for developing and implementing strategies to promote employment growth within the Business Services (including corporate headquarters), Software and Cybersecurity, Financial Services, and Aerospace and Defense Innovation industries in Virginia. Collectively, these industries represent some of the largest potential job growth opportunities for the Commonwealth.
The Vice President, Knowledge Work will be responsible for leading Virginia’s economic development efforts for targeted sector growth through a whole-of-government approach in close collaboration with state, regional, and local partners. Key areas of responsibility include ecosystem building, strategy development, and implementation.
The Vice President, Knowledge Work will work with the CEO and EVP to lead a cross-functional economic development team and the strategy for economic development in key sectors. The Vice President will have a combination of direct reports and indirect support from functional teams.
The position offers the ability to take a key role in VEDP’s Innovative Framework for Economic Growth by designing and developing sector strategies to take Virginia’s economic development efforts to the next level and foster greater economic growth. The position offers the opportunity to lead projects across all areas of economic development while providing frequent and in-depth thought partnership and engagement with leaders across state government, regional and local EDOs, and the private sector.
Responsibilities - The Vice President, Knowledge Work has six (6) core responsibility areas. These are listed below with approximate time distributions.
- Provide clear direction and clearly communicate goals of the agency to staff and inform external stakeholders and clients
- Create employee engagement by communicating as a leader and a team player
- Provide appropriate staff oversight and performance management to staff
- Engender trust and confidence with employees, encouraging both positive and constructive/corrective two-way feedback, and a willingness to know them
- Ensure adequate professional development opportunities are provided for team members
- Execute effective budgets and assignments of tasks to maximize resource allocation
- Promote and encourage teamwork and collaboration across units at VEDP to ensure effective and efficient client solutions
- Continually identify potential growth opportunities within the division and/or VEDP for staff in order to cultivate long term success and support employee retention
Strategy Development, Administration, and Implementation 25%
- Lead development of sector strategies and actively manage the implementation of those strategies within whole-of-government approach, identifying course corrections as needed
- Set performance metrics with EVP/CEO and hold ultimate responsibility for achieving metrics
- Identify opportunities to improve Virginia’s competitiveness
- Develop deep sector insights to enhance economic development activities within VEDP and across the ecosystem
- Anticipate trends and impact on the economy and businesses to inform project response
- Develop strong partnerships with local, regional, and state officials to drive initiative progress
- Manage Knowledge Work team operations and provide leadership for other staff members within the team
- Serve as a collaborative member of VEDP’s executive team, including active participation in leadership meetings to strengthen relationships and dialogue regarding sector expectations
Ecosystem Building 15%
- Lead efforts to build a thriving ecosystem capable of attracting new talent and spurring business growth
- Cultivate long-term relationships with appropriate stakeholders to gain buy-in for, and execution of, ecosystem and sector strategies
- Convene key stakeholders and partners across industry network to drive growth in sector priority areas
- Spearhead management of strategic initiatives, working closely with stakeholders across all of government
Strategic Existing Business Engagement 15%
- Cultivate relationships with Virginia’s top employers to proactively identify expansion opportunities and strengthen sector insights
- Be responsive to and elevate employer challenges to ensure retention and growth
Lead Generation 15%
- Enhance lead generation through leveraging industry relationships and identifying high potential companies for growth
- Leverage sector strategies to execute lead generation activities promoting sector growth
Project Support 10%
- Play a leading role to coordinate efforts for transformational projects (likely 2-3 per year)
- Provide solutions for issues that arise on other projects in VEDP’s pipeline
- Identify and incorporate lessons learned into project management processes
- Bachelor’s degree in social science (economics, public policy, or political science), mathematics, data analytics, business, or a related field;
- Advanced degree in business (MBA), public policy (MPP), and/or other relevant fields preferred.
- At least seven years of relevant experience, in positions of progressive responsibility
- Strong managerial and leadership abilities including cross-functional leadership, decision-making, and communication skills
- Excellent strategic analysis and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Management of internal direct reports and indirect reports with a track record of developing people and building successful teams
- Excellent computer proficiency, particularly with spreadsheet (Excel) and presentation (PowerPoint) development
- Division/department management, resource allocation, and project delegation
- Support of organization-wide efforts
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to work under time pressure
- At least 10 years of experience at a global firm that operates in the knowledge sector (e.g Business Services, Software and Cybersecurity, Financial Services, and Aerospace and Defense Innovation) or in a knowledge sector practice at a top-tier professional services firm (e.g., site selection, strategy consulting), including in-depth understanding of location decision factors for knowledge sector firms
- Participation and experience with government agencies, industry organizations, technology councils, and incubators
- Experience in tech startup ecosystems and/or launching new business ventures with mature companies
- Strategic thinker who can synthesize large amounts of information quickly
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excels under pressure, in a fast-paced, high-profile work environment
- Passion for public sector impact
- Enjoys meeting needs of internal and external customers
- Ability to balance progress on medium- and long-term projects with short-term deliverables
- Patience and collaborative instincts with stakeholders
- Impeccable character
- Relationship builder, motivator, and team player
- Positive attitude and energetic
- Sound judgment
Within 9-12 months, success looks like . . .
- The Vice President has developed a full understanding of VEDP and is comfortable presenting to internal staff, VEDP’s Board of Directors, and external stakeholders on VEDP activities and initiatives for the Knowledge Ecosystem
- The Vice President has developed strong, productive relationships with VEDP staff, key members of the Governor’s cabinet, leadership at other government agencies, and economic development partners
- VEDP’s Knowledge Work team is operating efficiently and effectively, with staff productively executing their various assigned responsibilities and clients and partners providing consistently positive feedback
- The Vice President has made distinctive contributions through effective management of multiple complex workstreams to evaluate and improve the economic competitiveness of Virginia and its regions for the knowledge sector, including well-structured and clearly communicated project plans, robust and responsive stakeholder engagement, comprehensive analysis of the current performance of the Commonwealth and its competitors, structured evaluation of potential improvement actions, strategic development of recommended improvement actions, and proactive engagement with stakeholders to initiate implementation
- Knowledge Work ecosystem initiatives are underway, including activities of other government agencies, and regional and local partners, with close coordination with private sector partners
- The Vice President has identified key factors to enable transformational project wins in the knowledge sector driven by custom proposals based on unique sector insights provided by the Vice President and strong collaboration with VEDP’s functional teams, government agencies, and local and regional partners
- The Vice President and team are regarded as highly supportive and collaborative based on interactions with internal and external partners (e.g., sharing goals and potential synergies, aligning strategies and programs, communicating frequently and openly
Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. VEDP uses the E-Verify system and does not provide sponsorship.
All candidates must apply through our website https://www.vedp.org/careers. Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter. A valid Virginia driver’s license and ability to obtain a passport is required. Application deadline: Open Until Filled
VEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities. It is VEDP’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applicants requiring more information or requiring assistance may contact VEDP Human Resources at 1-804-545-5634 or vedphr@VEDP.org. TDD 1-800-828-1120.