Executive DirectorVirginia Board for People with Disabilities
Virginia Board for People with Disabilities
The Virginia Board for People with Disabilities (Board) is seeking a proven leader to serve as Executive Director. The Board, composed of 39 members, serves as the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council for addressing the needs of people with developmental disabilities as authorized under the federal "Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act" and the state "Virginians with Disabilities Act." This Agency Head level position is hired and supervised by the Board; has administrative report to the Secretary of Health and Human Resources; is responsible for providing executive leadership to achieve the Board's vision and mission of advancing public policy that ensures persons with developmental and other disabilities are fully included in all facets of community life; and implements similar strategic programs that relate to priorities of the Governor.
Comprehensive knowledge in the leadership and administration of human services system and programs; legislative principles, practices and procedures; and program, laws, and regulations of a human services organization. Knowledge of/experience with developmental disabilities, organizational leadership, and principles of advocacy and public policy. Considerable knowledge of federal and state disability laws, regulations, policies and programs affecting persons with developmental and other disabilities. Considerable experience in leadership and knowledge of human resources, and financial principles and practices. Experience working with large Boards or Advisory Councils.
Demonstrated ability to: communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with diverse populations and to develop effective working relationships within the agency, with other state agencies, and with those outside of state government, including special interest groups, individuals with disabilities, advocates and parents, local government, and private providers.
Advanced degree in human services related field is a plus.
To perform the job successfully, the following knowledge, skills, and abilities should be demonstrated.
- Leadership – inspires and motivates others to achieve a shared vision and goals.
- Analytical – uses strategic perspective to synthesize complex or diverse information.
- Influence – persuades policymakers and stakeholders to listen and consider the Board's perspective.
- Problem solving – identifies, analyzes, and skillfully resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or challenging situations with different audiences, embraces difficult conversations as a means to achieve positive outcomes, and exhibits excellent facilitation and presentation skills.
- Collaboration – gains trust and support of others, partners to achieve shared goals, and facilitates an open discussion with all stakeholders.
- Judgment – makes sound and timely decisions.
- Inclusion – ensures that all perspectives are respectfully considered and works effectively with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Team building – engages staff and stakeholders in planning and decision-making, delegates effectively based on clear expectations, and optimizes diverse talent to achieve goals.
The selected candidate must complete a Statement of Personal Economic Interests as a condition of employment (VA. Code § 2.2-3114);
Special Instructions to Applicants
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 804-662-9101 for assistance. Minorities, Individuals with disabilities, Veterans, Americorp, Peace Corps, and other National Service Alumni are encouraged to apply. Equal Opportunity Employer.
State applications will only be accepted as submitted online by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date October 27, 2019. through the Commonwealth of Virginia's Job Board/ Recruitment Management System (RMS).
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application is submitted successfully. Please refer to "Your Application" in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.