Associate Extension Specialist, Volunteer Engagement
Virginia Cooperative Extension is seeking applications for the position of Associate Extension Specialist, Volunteer Engagement.
The Volunteer Engagement Associate Specialist will provide leadership in building system capacity within Virginia Cooperative Extension (VCE) to effectively engage and support volunteers. The Associate Specialist will conduct, facilitate, and disseminate research related to emerging and contemporary issues affecting volunteerism and volunteer management. Collaborating with specialists and agents, the Associate Specialist will develop and implement strategies to attract, develop, and retain an appropriately diverse group of volunteers who will be demographically reflective of the communities they serve. By developing effective partnerships with subject matter specialists, the Associate Specialist will increase the number and variety of volunteer opportunities within VCE thus expanding the reach and visibility of VCE programs.
- Earned master’s degree in Extension Education, Volunteer Administration, Community Development, Leadership, or closely related field and significant professional Extension experience.
• Experience in designing and implementing community-based Extension or non-formal educational programs through the engagement of volunteers.
• Interest in and demonstrated skills in effective program evaluation.
• Demonstrated ability to work with volunteers and diverse audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to design, promote, implement, and evaluate youth and adult development programs based on experiential learning principles.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• A commitment to working with diverse clientele and colleagues and to the Virginia Tech Principles of Community.
• Willingness to work occasional nights and weekends with occasional overnight travel.
- Earned doctorate in Extension Education, Volunteer Administration, Community Development, Leadership, or closely related field. Degrees in other fields will be considered for candidates with professional Extension experience.
- Resource development experience in support of programming efforts.
• Demonstrated experience developing effective on-line educational programs and marketing materials, including the use of social media
• Administrative/supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated skills in team leadership and problem-solving.